Re: [TenTec] V2, TT where are we going?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] V2, TT where are we going?
From: Kc9cdt@aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 09:53:10 EST
Is this rocket science???

All that needs to be done is for TT to take an OI with 1.371x, and an OII
(And/or  OI  with V2), and compare the way the TX audio (especially SP, and EQ)
and the DSP NR, NB, AN work in real life operations conditions (Gosh Scott
could do this instead of using up engineering time) AND it needs to be a ham
(if
he/she is an engineer fine). I think it will be pretty obvious which is better.
Don't need O scopes, Sig gens, Spec. analyzers etc.

Oh, .....wait a minute I forgot.... isn't this TT's radio?  (Hi, Hi)

OK, let's see, then they already know all this.. right?

OK, then they already know they have a great piece of HW in OII, and they
know we are pleased with the stability, and they know we LOVE the display and
the
new Mic setup, and the change in the filter chain.

So, question #1, considering all this... do they know we are NOT pleased with
the V2 functions that DO NOT work near as well as the V1 functions?

Question #2 what is the plan to fix all of it? (I'm sure they have a pretty
complete list)

I talked to them on the phone a couple weeks ago. They (in all fairness, one
person) said they have been getting rave reviews on OII and they don't agree
with me there is any problem. That was even before they fixed the QSK hangup
problem. I mentioned a lot of us are not happy with some of the re-written code
in V2. I told him that most of us would go back to the V1 function with V2
stablity if we had a choice.  He said send any concerns to DitsnBits which is a
good suggestion and we do/should.

I was trying to have a very frank conversation with him. I mentioned that I
am a TT supporter and believe very much in the Orion II and in general I do
like it (just like I liked the Orion).

I told him I hope they sell thousands of the OII's. And I told him that
during several of the QSO's I have had I was told that they were very
interested in
buying one, but there is no way they are buying one until the issues he had
heard about (FIRMWARE) get fixed. These comments were also after I told the
person on the other end on the QRN that I loved it, it was fun and easy to
operate, the screen was superb, their support was excellant etc.....And yes,
there
were still some firmware issues being addressed. I suggested to the TT rep that
in the next meeting of the minds (management) he take this message forward,
he said he would.

IMHO, we all need to be very supportive of their efforts, BUT be very firm in
that we are not happy with the current product (V2). I'm not trying to speak
for everyone here, but I know a lot of folks agree)

I guess the thing that bugs me is that we all talk about all this here, do
testing, try to figure out what's wrong & why, and some very sharp folks even
suggest the way to fix things, but we (at least as far as I know) never here
anything form TT on their direction. IMHO I think some comments would be in
their
best interest.

Meanwhile, I use OII almost everyday, very stable, love using it,  great RX,
love the roofing filters...I just don't turn on any of the other features I
paid for, because they aren't right. I'm lucky as my audio, while not as good
as
it was with Orion, works OK according to several on-air tests (just don't set
SP greater than 3).

73,
Lee, KC9CDT