Re: [TenTec] Ver 2.028, maybe a problem?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ver 2.028, maybe a problem?
From: "Henry Pfizenmayer" <pfizenmayer@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:06:09 -0700
Grant - My 565 Orion has always shown that slow rise to "set"  power out on
the first key closure , or on SSB the first PTT under random conditions but
always after a  long delay in transmitting (like when I am listening  for a
long time without transmitting ) - I have to remember on SSB on short calls
to just close PTT once without transmittimg to get the power to be at set
power when  I talk.

I have been having trouble  with the ALC letting power go all over the
place -( first noticed it when the Centurion was randomly popping up to
1300 watts or down to 300 watts instead of  700 watts where I normally run
it ) .Confirmed it was the Orion by putting another external wattmeter
between the Orion and the amp .

During trouble shooting the ALC issues that I also noticed that switching
bands will cause the lag in power coming up -especially if I do not wait a
few seconds apparently for everything to get settled down -or
do not let the alc settle the power .

 For instance  switching from 160 to 10 , there is a significant lag
in 10 meter power coming up  - more noticeable  if you have let
 the 160 power settle (mine goes to about 120 watts at first key down
then drifts back to 100 watts -when set at 100 percent power)
then when you switch to ten it comes up slowly . This seems to
happen going from 160 to 20 or above but not to 80 or 40-
probably due to system gain effects on alc.

 Then  today as I was confirming what I recalled , I noticed
something I had not noticed before - Lo and Behold
if you switch from 10 to 160 and just tap the key as the
 display shows 1.800 - the LED in the MIN RX button
goes out and switches to the LED in the SUB rx button
then when you tap the key again it switches back .
One time when it did this , the sub rx audio was dead
as far as received signals but side tone was there .

 All the above is on lcw cw .

FWIW -- Hank K7HP