Re: [TenTec] Wireless Remote Control of Jupiter or Pegasus

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Wireless Remote Control of Jupiter or Pegasus
From: "Mark Erbaugh" <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 08:57:21 -0500
Duane,

> It specifically states that signal emanating from any type of
> radio *station* cannot be retransmitted. Then if you read the
> Part 15 rules that cover cordless phones, and WiFi type gear
> (47CFR15.201), nowhere does describe any of that gear as
> being a "station" at any time. My contention is that even
> though those types of part 15 devices are intentional
> radiators they are NOT stations. Additionally as long as you
> are not using the part 15 device as an uncontrolled
> *originating* source but merely as a transferring medium for
> your voice, CW key, RX audio etc. then it should not be a
> problem. I really don't see how it is any different than
> using common carrier phone lines for remote radio station
> purposes (some of that link may be RF and you wouldn't even
> know it).

I hadn't seen the emphasis on "station". I thought it referred to "service".
Good point about common carrier lines and RF.

> However as soon you modify a part 15 device in any way then
> you will have violated 47CFR15.204 (assuming you don't want
> operate it under part 97 rules - more below). Additionally
> you still always need to satisfy the station control
> requirements of 47CFR97.109, the fact that the link is part
> 15 vs. a physical cable shouldn't matter. Also part of
> satisfying 47CFR97.109 you must be able to assure that you do
> indeed have full control at all times and to not allow any
> non licensed (amateur) access to that part 15 link. So it may
> not be wise choice to use certain part 15 devices for that
> reason alone.

I think that's a big concern that I hadn't really considered.  Part 15
devices must accept interference. I'm not sure there's a way that you can
guarantee that this interference wouldn't cause illegal operation of a ham
radio station.  For example, what if your neighbor's Part 15 baby monitor
picked up music playing in the baby's room and your link transmitted that?