Re: [TenTec] Argonaut 509: Exorcist needed!

To: <richard.arland@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argonaut 509: Exorcist needed!
From: "JAMES HANLON" <knjhanlon@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:32:57 -0700
Rich,

Thanks for your story.  I have far more than my share of Boatanchors, so I
do understand your frustration.  Just yesterday I got my Eldico SSB-100
(vintage 1955, first generation sideband transmitter) running again.  A
mouse had nibbled an RFC in the vfo and opened it, which I found after a bit
of signal tracing and measurement.

I also have an Argonaut 505, old enough if not heavy enough to be a member
of my Boatanchor collection.  Fortunately it was working when it came to me,
so I haven't dug too deeply into it.  I did manage to sit the power supply
on top of the Argonaut the first time I put it on the air, only to have a
nice hum induced into the Argonaut's vfo from the power transformer's
magnetic field.  Someone on the reflector tipped me off to what was
happening, plus there was no hum when I ran it from a battery.

Re your 509 troubleshooting, sometimes simple things can help.  Have you
tried making a few dc resistance measurements associated with that 10 meter
coil and its bandswitch position?  That might give you a hint of where your
problem could be.

Jim, W8KGI