Re: [TenTec] re Ten Tec amps and ALC

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] re Ten Tec amps and ALC
From: Jason Buchanan <jsb@digistar.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:31:07 -0400
Rob Atkinson, K5UJ wrote:

If everyone could just back off on the PA collector current to prevent overdrive I guess there would be no need for external ALC control but then I don't think I'd see rear panel ALC jacks on new rigs if that were true.

I'll go one better than that... if everyone would realize that anything over 1000W is mostly wasted no 1.5KW amplifiers would ever suffer being overdriven :-) Of course, if you're going from 1000 watts to 4000 watts there would be an obvious S-meter difference but I doubt that rule applies to very many people.

... although if someone was willing to donate a 4000 watt amplifier to me I would be willing to test that theory - hi