[TenTec] One complicated radio!

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] One complicated radio!
From: John Rippey <w3uls@3n.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:00:59 -0500
My thanks to the people who responded both privately and on this reflector to my not-quite-facetious comments this a.m. regarding the Orion's seeming complexity.

I can easily differentiate myself from Bill, W4ZV, in one clarion respect: it appears from his e-mail address he's an MIT alum. Your humble correspondent spent an unproductive freshman semester in Cambridge long ago and took advantage of the semester break to high tail it out of there--those folks, such as Bill, no doubt, were WAY too smart for me!

So what comes easily to Bill and such (or Doug Smith or Scott Robbins) after a week or so with the Orion chances are might not become clear to me--ever.

Also, I think comparing the K-2 with any other rig is not productive because the K-2 beyond its QRP foundation has got to be an acquired taste, pricey at that if you want 100 watts, SSB, DSP, 6 & 2 meters, etc. Granted it's a good performer. It may be that the Orion similarly is an acquired taste as well. Hey, I drive a 12-year-old Jeep Cherokee with a stick shift, so you can get a sense of where I'm coming from.

Great comments, great reflector.

73,
John, W3ULS