[TenTec] Re: Your Orion posts

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Your Orion posts
From: k6se@juno.com (k6se@juno.com)
Date: Wed May 21 19:31:52 2003
Hi, Dean (W5PJR),

You wrote:

"Im sure youve seen the preliminary dope on the new Icom 7800?  Another
interesting radio. I dont know how far it is away from production; but as
a long time Icom enthusiast, I can hardly wait!"
==========
According to the "brochure" I downloaded, the IC-7800 has only two
"roofing" filters.  The narrowest one is 6.0 kHz wide, which makes it
only a bit better for CW use than the run-of-the-mill radio (usually a
15kHz roofing filter), so the close-in IMDDR and BDR ratings won't be as
good as the Orion (and perhaps not even as good as the Elecraft K2, which
has the best IMDDR and BDR figures yet tested in the ARRL lab).

Close-in (2kHz, not 6kHz!) IMDDR and BDR figures are what most contesters
and DXers look at to get an idea how a receiver will perform in a band
crowded with strong signals.

Therefore, I'm not impressed with the IC-7800.

73, de Earl, K6SE