[TenTec] Jupiter SWR

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter SWR
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 19:32:08 -0600
It is a tossup, Jeff. The meter on the Jupiter is really showing an
indication of how close to a 50 ohm resistor the transmitter load is. The
AR meter is actually measuring the impedance of the line and comparing that
with 50 ohms. Either could be spot on or off by a mile.

But, given a choice, I would tend to trust the Jupiter meter especially
when the rig is terminated in a known good dummy load. Also check with the
Autek for a comparison.

Having two SWR meters is a lot like the man with two watches who never
knows what time it is . . .

It is important to note that in any system with two inline wattmeters
measuring SWR, they interact with one another such that the one nearest the
transmitter is most likely to read correctly. For that reason, I always
tune my MFJ 989C tuner for minimum SWR as seen on the meter of the PRO
transceiver. On some bands and antennas, the minimum SWR tuning on the 989C
does not provide minimum SWR on the PRO panel meter.

73/72/oo, George W5YR - the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 56th year and it just keeps getting better!
QRP-L 1373 NETXQRP 6 SOC 262 COG 8 FPQRP 404 TEN-X 11771 I-LINK 11735
Icom IC-756PRO #02121  Kachina 505 DSP  #91900556  Icom IC-765 #02437

All outgoing email virus-checked by Norton Anti-Virus 2002