[TenTec] Hercules Relay Replacement

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Hercules Relay Replacement
From: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk (John - G3JAG)
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 08:54:34 +0100 (BST)
Yes, I worried about that, and  black plastics foam material MAY be a
problem, but in my experience, the conductivity is designed only to
dissipate static. At low voltage/impedances, its conductivity is pretty
negligible. In fact, achieving respectable conductivity in a
soft rubbery plastics foam sheet is quite a trick.

Examples of this are the semi-rigid foam pads used to hold IC's.
Normally its necessary to stuff the foam so full of conducting fillers
that it becomes rather stiff and non-resilient. Thats not what I had in
mind.

I used some soft pink stuff, rather like thick blotting paper, and I
hacked it to avoid bridging terminals at opposite ends of that PC board
holding the relay. So far no smoke, but I agree that a little care is
appropriate.  I wish the original TT foam pad was available; it would be
interesting to stick an ohm meter across it and across a piece of the
stuff I used.

John

E-Mail: John - G3JAG <patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk>