[TenTec] Omni VI - Hollow Sounding RX Audio

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI - Hollow Sounding RX Audio
From: jlockj@minn.net (John Lockhart)
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 22:45:04 +0100

Hello to the Group,

After wanting an Omni VI for a couple of years, I bought a nice looking
used Omni last week.  Unfortunately I've found it has a problem with its
receive audio after a couple of hours use.  The audio takes on a hollow
sound, which when listening to someone on SSB, sounds like they are
talking through a barrel.  With no signal on frequency, there's a
"whistling
wind" type sound (even with no antenna connected), which the changes
pitch when the Passband Tuning control is adjusted.

The receiver sounds great when first powered-up.  When this problem
manifests itself, I can reduce its impact by reducing the RF Gain control
a bit.  This improves the sound of desired signals relative to the "wind"
noise to almost normal, at the expense of some sensitivity.  Interestingly,

using the 20 dB attenuator does not lower the wind noise, it only lowers
the level of the desired signal.

Appreciate any suggestions on what might be causing the problem!

73,

John  W0DC