[TenTec] PTO Drift Problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] PTO Drift Problem
From: bcotter@pop.uky.edu (Bill Cotter)
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 09:42:03 -0400
Joe, Clark and the gang,

I had a minor power-up drift problem with my previous Corsair-II, about
100Hz in the first 15min or so. To work around it I simply turned on
the rig 10-15 minutes before I used it and seemed to do just fine. I
could set the frequency and come back 8hrs later to the same spot
according to the LED's. I didn't experience the ambient sensitivity
problem Clark reported, even though the rig was somewhat close to an
overhead HVAC vent. A simple solution to the ambient sensitivity
problem (other than compensation) might be to wrap the PTO in a
'blanket' of close-cell foam to smooth-out the temperature variations
over time. There is a material electronic components are sometimes
shipped in that is apprx 1/4" thick, pink and closed-cell. It could be
cut, wrapped and taped on 5-sides of the PTO fairly easly. There is
more than enough room surrounding the PTO to give it a good wrap or two.

73 es gl,

Bill N4ALG

At 06:07 PM 6/26/97 -0700, you wrote:
>> Have you recieved any info on how to solve the PTO drift problem?
>> My new Omni "D" drifts about 500 cycles in 40 min, I'd like to know how
>> to fix it.
>
>Hi Joe:
>
>Looked into this a little bit, and no one seems to have the answer.
>My Corsair PTO drifts about 200 Hz in 40 min, then back 100 Hz and then
>stable for a while unless I open the window.  A good breeze will
>take me 50 Hz in a half hour it seems.
>
>I suspect we could just stick a small light bulb inside the PTO
>case and leave it on, if we could figure it would bring it all up
>a few degrees and keep it there.  That might do it, I think I saw
>someone on this list with that idea.
>
>We could also just play with the caps that are compensating in
>there to get them right.  I don't have experience in that, and
>experience is what makes that sort of experimentation work as I
>understand it.
>
>Anyone have ideas on stabilizing the older Ten Tec PTO's?  Don't
>need perfection, if we could just keep it down to a small amount
>it would help a lot.
>
>Clark
>WA3JPG
>
>--

| Bill Cotter, Manager of R&D          Mail:   bcotter@pop.uky.edu |
| Communications and Network Systems   Pager:  (606) 259-6082      |
| Parking Structure 2, Room-4, 0198    Phone:  (606) 323-6474      |
| University of Kentucky               FAX:    (606) 257-9400      |
| Lexington, KY 40506-0198             Home:   (606) 887-5563,2402 |