[SECC] NAQP Time Strategy

Subject: [SECC] NAQP Time Strategy
From: halken at comcast.net (Hal Kennedy)
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 15:20:27 -0500
I am mostly in agreement with John
.one of my times off is when dinner is
ready!

Since we are still at the bottom of the solar cycle, I think you have to
stay in the chair until 10 and 15 close or there is just no rate left there.
At that point moving the West Coast stations up to 21 and 28 can add some
Qs, but typically no new mults so its hardly worth it.

As the rate falls off on 20 from working darn near everybody, or early band
closing ? its time for a break.  This is around dinner time.  Its okay to
head to 40 for the early arrivals and SO2R guys who often keep one radio on
40 the whole contest, but can be a trap
see below.  With a dipole at 75
feet, I can work out to AZ or CO any time of day
so 40 is always a good
band
.until it goes so long that it?s a struggle to work CA.  The
temptations to avoid are staying too long on 21 and 28 and going too early
to 40 meters.  40 will provide you a good rate no matter when you first show
up, but you need to save that for when its all there is.

The last hour is usually a QRV feeding frenzy, per W4AN.  I typically have a
decent Q count and mult count the last 30 minutes from moving folks all over
the bands, including ground wave on 21 and 28 for TN, GA, AL and maybe FL.
If you are south of here and have good antennas on those bands (I don?t) FL
can add a lot of ground wave Qs.  I can also work TX at times when the high
bands are otherwise closed.  The last half hour is worthwhile if you have a
frequency agile station.  If you have really poor antennas for 80 and 160,
take the last hour off unless you haven?t milked 40 for all its worth.  Just
like sweepstakes, it seems everybody gets on 40 at some point in the
contest.  Your best strategy depends on your antennas and station setup
SO2R
or not?  Antennas for all bands or not?

Check 160 on the half hours and particularly on the hour.  Get there 3
minutes before and CQ your way into the hour ? it can be a pleasant
experience, as folks will just be coming on to the band and even the CQ-only
big guns will call you as they look for their own CQ QRG.  I have had huge
rates for 10 minutes on 160 beginning just before the hour.

This is really a fun contest.  Just enough time to feel like you
accomplished something, yet time off for rest and dinner.  I usually come
out right around 1,000 Qs if I work the second radio hard.  I have worked
825 Qs already with one radio and the modest wire farm here in Woodstock ?
but that took a lot of work and intensity.  It?s a fun contest for SO2R.
You can do well with very modest antennas and gear.  Breaking your score
from last year is always a good objective.  Just piddling around and having
fun is another good objective.

If your code skills are weak, stay high in the band ? we all go slow up
there.  Also, don?t be afraid to call a speed demon.  They will usually slow
down for you, and you can listen to them long enough to get the exchange
even if it takes a few minutes.  Use a history file ? virtually every
logging program supports this.

Remember -- it?s a low power contest and no packett
.

73,
Hal, N4GG