[SECC] House Bill 19

Subject: [SECC] House Bill 19
From: aa4ga at contesting.com (Lee Hiers)
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 14:03:28 -0500
On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 1:51 PM, K4SAV <RadioIR at charter.net> wrote:

> K4OD wrote:  "It is a presumption on my part, though I believe it would be
> substantiated if researched, that 98% (or a figure very close to that) of
> all amateurs refrain from actually "Sending CW" while in motion."
>
> That would be an incorrect assumption. Most good CW ops find sending CW
> while in motion to be no more distracting than doing phone while in motion.
> In both cases, only one hand is used for the radio function.

Indeed...I've operated CW while mobile since long before cell phones
were around without an incident.

Operation of a cell phone/amateur radio/AM
receiver/hamburger/cigarette is no more distracting to drivers than
anything else one can occupy oneself with other than driving.  Such
things as billboards, confusing road signs, the hot blonde in the next
car....you know, the stuff you just can't avoid while driving.

The bans on cell phone, etc. usage are ludicrous...they are simply
politically popular.

> Question:  Should the cops arrest themselves for using their radios?

Surely they will, just as they cite themselves for traffic violations
(i.e. speeding) that they currently participate in while not actively
on a call...or even on duty in many instances.

--
Lee Hiers
"Have Dobro Will Travel"