[SECC] cq-contest debate on SS ck

Subject: [SECC] cq-contest debate on SS ck
From: thompson at mindspring.com (David Thompson)
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 15:41:09 -0500
There is a useless debate raging on the cq-contest reflector about the SS
ck.  My reply gave the history of the message preamble (it is much shorter
now) and the place of the ck as a word count in the preamble.

Up until the 1970's most contesters (and Dxers) were active traffic
handlers.  The ARRL got its name from relaying messages across the USA.

As I stated on the cq-contest reflector the ck is a non-issue.  You can use
the year of first license or if a guest op use either the host or the guest
op year.

I have gotten 23 replies with 21 agreing with me and 2 in opposition.  There
seems to be a tendancy to argue just for the point of argument sake.  You
can bet the battleship ARRL is not going to change the use of ck.

Good luck to all in the phone SS.

Dave K4JRB  ck 57