[SECC] Claimed Scores, Last Weekend's Contests

Subject: [SECC] Claimed Scores, Last Weekend's Contests
From: ku8e at bellsouth.net (ku8e at bellsouth.net)
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 9:34:54 -0500
K9AY wrote :

"Thanks for all the QSOs!  Lots of SECC calls in the log."

Alabama was also well represented. I can't recall working so many AL stations
in a contest since I have lived in GA. Thanks for the QSO's.

John, K4BAI, has his Alpha back from repairs so I have the AL811H loaner back
at my station.
No more of this low power stuff on 160 !!  600 watts should help out alot. I am
in process of redoing
my inverted L by getting the vertical part higher and adding some more radials.
Hope to have that
done by Stew Perry and CQWW 160 CW.

Some interesting facts from W4RNL. Going from 4 to 16 radials you can gain 1.2
db. From 16
to 64 you only gain .7 db more. I bet most of us don't have the room for 120
radials or maybe even
64 radials. If this is your case is it worth laying out 64 radials when you
gain only .7 db more ?
For me the answer would be No. I am lucky that have an easement behind where I
live to put my 160 antenna. I am going to try to get a minimum of 16 radials
out there. I have about 4 full size 130 ft ones right now.

I went to Home Depot after work the other night and got a 500 foot spool of
wire to get started. I can't believe how much the price of wire has gone up. I
think last time I bought a spool if was something like $25. The #12 solid wire
was $40 for a 500 foot spool and the stranded was even more at $45.

Happy Holidays to everyone in SECC/ACG.

Jeff KU8E