[SECC] [SEDXC] PFFT! (Was: Texas QSO Party)

Subject: [SECC] [SEDXC] PFFT! (Was: Texas QSO Party)
From: aa4lr at arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 19:36:30 -0400
On Sep 21, 2006, at 4:22 PM, Dan/W4NTI wrote:

> Another answer is perhaps the RTTY crowd don't give a rip about
> tearing
> up the entire 40 m CW segement.  Course thats just MY observations.

Last I looked, RTTY was authorized in the US from 7000-7150 kHz. CW
is from 7000-7300 kHz. In Regions 1 and 3, the entire 40m band is
only 7000-7100. 7040 kHz is the International RTTY calling frequency,
so you'll find a lot of intercontinental RTTY activity around there.
Much higher, it would interfere with Phone operation in Regions 1 and 3.

The problem here is NOT that RTTY operators are inconsiderate, or
that CW operators are intolerant. The problem IS that the 40m band is
just too damn small at 100 kHz world-wide. We'll get some relief in
2009 when 7100-7200 kHz becomes a world-wide allocation.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901