[SECC] Gavel Suggestion

Subject: [SECC] Gavel Suggestion
From: halken at comcast.net (Hal Kennedy)
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 23:02:11 -0000
For pondering in advance of tomorrow's meeting - I'd like to suggest we
adopt the system PVRC has used for many years with respect to SS gavels,
which is:
When an SS gavel is received by the club, it is given, permanently, to
the person contributing the highest combined (CW+SSB) single-op score
that year, given that person has not received a gavel before.  Under
this system, I think our first gavel would go to N4PN - but I need to
check the records.  Our second one (I think we have a great chance to
start winning these things on a regular basis) would go to someone other
than N4PN.
The benefits of the system:
Encourages and rewards participation.
Awards those who contribute the big scores, but, after they are
rewarded, the gavels trickle down to the smaller stations over time as
nobody can get more than one.
The club does not have to keep track of a box full of gavels in the club
secretary's closet.

Let's discuss it further tomorrow.

73
Hal