[SECC] NAQP Strategy

Subject: [SECC] NAQP Strategy
From: ku8e at bellsouth.net (ku8e@bellsouth.net)
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:52:28 -0500
The condx are going to dictate the strategy you might use. In the January NAQP
the low bands - 80/160 are much more important than in the August NAQP where
you tend to get more E skip on 15 and 10. Also 20 meters will stay open longer
in the summer time.

 I ended up operating the first hour and then took a 1/2 hour break. When I got
back on at 1930Z 20 meters was not it's usual self with any good short skip. I
checked 40 meters at that time and there were a few stations on the east coast
CQing and I worked them on the 2nd radio.  At 1945Z I decided to try CQing on
40 meters and the rate was much better  so I switched there and alternated
between 20/15/10 meters on the 2nd radio. I went back to 20 meters for some
CQing around 2020Z for awhile and then switched back to 40 for good around
2130Z.  I made my 1st 80 meter QSO around 2330 Z but that was on the 2nd radio.
40 was still short and I didn't really do any CQing on 80 until almost 0200Z.
My last 20 meter OSO was around 2337Z and didn't even bother to listen after
that... mainly CQing on 40 and S&P on radio #2 between 80 and 160 meters. I
took an hour break for dinner between 2345-0045Z. I took my last break at
0500-0530Z.

I screwed up big time by not spending this past week getting my real 160 meter
antenna (inverted L) back up and going. During the practices on Thursday and
Friday
it was noisy and no one was there so I assume condx were going to be bad.  I
heard and XE , ZF2NT and several EU stations and the west coast was coming in
good. I was using the zepp , with the open wire feeder shorted and it just
didn't cut the mustard. I must of also missed a good 15 meter opening. Many
from around here worked 20+ multipliers and I only had 5. The times I listened
on radio #2  about the only thing I heard were mostly W6 stations. Was there
some short skip ??

Overall, I guess I can't complain about my score. About the same as last time ,
with worse condx. Although N4GG killed me using wires only so I guess I still
have a ways to go. Thanks to everyone for getting on...

73, Jeff KU8E