[SECC] CQWW CW W4ATL SOAB(A) HP

Subject: [SECC] CQWW CW W4ATL SOAB(A) HP
From: aa4lr at arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:20:13 -0500
On Nov 28, 2005, at 5:43 AM, Sherman Banks wrote:

> Equipment: Orion, K2, Alpha 374, A4S Tribander @ 50', 40 Dipole @ 45',
> 160M Inv.L

Ok, our stations are very similar - tribander at 15m, 40m dipole,
vertical for 160m. I have a 600 watt amp, but didn't use it this
weekend. I also had an 80m antenna.

> This is always a very frustrating contest for me since most of the
> people on the band I can't work for credit.

I had no trouble tuning around and finding lots of DX.

>   I had hoped an amplifier
> would make the contest more fun.  I think I was able to get through
> about 3 pileups, but the rest was useless.

I didn't have this much trouble, but I was only running 100 watts. I
usually got through most pileups in the first couple of calls. There
were a few that were tougher. There were also some I gave up on. With
LP and modest antennas, you have to use more finesse.

I noticed that you were running assisted. This may have something to
do with it. If you are bouncing packet spots you can expect a lot of
high-powered competition. I had less trouble with old-fashioned
tuning around.

I did have one incident where I busted a pileup ahead of K1TTT. That
was sweet.

>   I had hoped to run some on
> 20 and 15 but only got a few callers.  It gave me a lot of time to S&P
> on the second radio.  I was most successful running to SA on 15.
> Thanks
> to the 10 PYs and LUs for coming back to my lonely CQ.

10m didn't seem to be open except to South America.

I tried a few CQs myself, with similar results.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901