[SECC] K4OGG CQWW CW LP

Subject: [SECC] K4OGG CQWW CW LP
From: jpryor at uga.edu (Jay Pryor)
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:50:39 -0500
It is interesting to learn that I was not the only one who could not get a
good run going.  The longest run in the entire 48 hours was a one hour
stretch on 20M Saturday morning.  This was a sorta serious effort.  That
is, I was on the radio most of the time that I wasn't asleep.  Slept for
maybe 5 hours Friday night and 8 hours Saturday, plus I took time out for
meals and to watch UGA squeek by GA Tech on Saturday night.

I thought the bands were much better Friday night than they were on
Saturday.  Ten opened for brief periods of time, and 15 was great but it
closed early both days -- at least it did at my house.  I guess the
highlights were breaking pileups for S9SS and VQ9JC, but I must extend
kudos to ZL6QH.  He had a pileup going on 15M and I had called him for
maybe 5 minutes when he said he was going to QSY to 10M.  I switched to 10
and darned if I didn't find him there.  After several calls I got the first
"?"  Anyway, although I was using 100W and a triband antenna on the roof,
he stuck with me and after many tries we got the 10M QSO.  Many other ops
would have given up and I really appreciate his persistence.

For the first time in many contests I had an incident of "frequency
rage."  I was on 20M and running for ten minutes when one of our Canadian
neighbors plopped down on top of me.  I have no idea why he thought he
owned that frequency but he surely did, and was insisting that I QSY.  When
I didn't he repeatedly called me a lid.  Ticked me off.  I think he
probably was running HP, so it was no contest between the two of us, but I
must admit I stuck around a while simply calling CQ without expecting to
get a response just to get back at him.  If I had been more serious about
the contest I would have moved earlier than I did.  It still ticks me off.

    BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Countries   Zones

   160CW       32          32         68        16         8
    80CW       57          57        144        33        10
    40CW      138         138        367        51        15
    20CW      300         299        831        78        21
    15CW      137         137        365        61        18
    10CW       26          26         67        18         9

  Totals      690         689       1842       257        81

     Final Score = 622596 points.

73,

Jay, K4OGG

FT-1000MP