[SECC] A Few Thoughts

Subject: [SECC] A Few Thoughts
From: halken at comcast.net (Hal Kennedy)
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 19:01:06 -0400
All,

Congrats to the new and returning officers to the SECC, who begin today, and
are:

VP:           Rick, NQ4I
Secretary:  Bill,  AA4LR
Treasurer:  Ed, K4SB

And last and in some ways least (least time on the club roster, QRT at the
moment due to moving!!) is myself as President.

I plan to respect the founding principles of the club - "minimal 'Rah Rahs,'
a place to send one's scores" - but I will pick up the communications pace
somewhat.

Although it's only August 1, the new contest season is upon us.  NAQP CW is
this weekend.  For those who have not tried an NAQP - these are great
contests.  Single ops can only put in 10 hours, and modest antennas do fine
as this is a domestic contest.  I snuck into the bottom of the top ten box
last year running two dipoles at 40 feet - this is a contest anyone can do
well in.  The SSB running is August 20/21.   Besides being lots of fun -
this is a great training ground and a place to sharpen one's skills.  For
those wanting to move up to SO2R - this is THE place for SO2R practice.  My
top ten finish (okay - I was 10th!) was done with a steady 40 rate on the CQ
radio and a 40 rate on the S&P radio.  A combined 80 rate for 10 hours will
get you noticed and make you ready for liquid refreshment at the end.

With regard to the coming season, I'd like to encourage EVERY member to get
on the air - even if its only for an hour - during Sweepstakes and the 10
meter contest.  The SECC has a shot at making the top of the medium sized
club list in these events - it will only happen if we all participate.

CU in the pile-ups...
Hal
N4GG