[SECC] fcc uses contest logs for evidence

Subject: [SECC] fcc uses contest logs for evidence
From: k4sb at bellsouth.net (K4SB)
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 03:39:31 +0000
Gary McConville wrote:
> My take is that the ARRL is not part of any enforcement and unless
> there was a supoena, then they should stay out of it, irregardless of
> what happened!
> > On Apr 26, 2005, at 6:10 PM, Dan/W4NTI wrote:
> > > You know something guys?  That really is a low move from the ARRL.
> > I agree that Ed has a point, but it also represents something of a
> > quandary for the ARRL.
 > Since the Amateur Service is supposed to be self-policing -- would
it
> > be right for the ARRL to hold back this information, when it clearly
> > shows someone operating a station out of his licensing limits? To
> > what length should your ARRL dues to spend in order to protect the privacy
> > rights of such a violator?

While I agree with all of the above, the ARRL is not an enforcement
agency, and unless there's something in the rules about the logs being
their property, I believe what they did was an invasion of privacy.
Gary is right, there should have been a suponea!

I have absolutely no problem with the enforcement action, but if I
were one of those whose call appeared, and was subsequently cleared, I
would sue the hell out of the ARRL.

I've written a letter to Bill Sumner on this, and suffice it to say, I
will no longer submit logs to the ARRL.

This is about the 5th time I regret being a life member!

73
Ed