[SECC] W4AN

Subject: [SECC] W4AN
From: k4pic at alltel.net (Larry Phillips)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:24:37 -0400
SECC members,

I don't usually get involved in the controversies that sometimes erupt on
the reflector
but would like to express my opinion regarding the use of Bill Fisher's call
'W4AN'.
I did not know Bill personally. I worked him in contests back in the early
and mid 90's
when he still had the call KM9P (I believe). From all I've heard about Bill
he was a
person of respect and admiration as well as a very talented contester, one
of the best.
I believe that when someone reaches the stature, in their field of endeavor,
that Bill
accomplished in ham radio and contesting that the greatest honor that we
could do
Bill would be to RETIRE the call "W4AN". It is now the call of the SECC,
which Bill
was a co-founder, and we have the unique opportunity of preserving that call
in Bill's
name ONLY. I wish that someone would compile a listing of Bill's
accomplishments
and place them in a page on the SECC website and under the "W4AN" on the web
site's home page it would be nice to add " In memory of Bill Fisher". Not
only do I
suggest that the retirement of call W4AN be appropriate in honor of Bill
Fisher but
that it would end the probably never ending haggling over who gets to use
the call
for whatever contest which I suspect that the majority of the SECC members
are
finding distasteful at best. It is not my intention to prolong the
"discussion" over the
use of W4AN on this reflector or to create a new "discussion" over the
comments
I've made above. It seems like a resonable solution, to me, regarding the
current
debate over the use of the W4AN callsign and at the same time doing the
right thing.
I hope everyone will give it some serious thought and consider what is
really best for
the SECC.

73, K4PIC