[SECC] Circle

Subject: [SECC] Circle
From: aa4ga at contesting.com (Lee Hiers)
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:03:33 -0400
I've gotten a couple of off-list messages about our ability to change
the circle around at will...I'll paste the amendment to the ByLaws
below.

This was discussed and voted on back in October 2004, and as I
recall, there was only one dissenting vote.  I don't think I voted on
it because it didn't affect me personally, and have mixed opinions
about it.

1 - it is not specifically against the rules to change the circle, so
if we decide to do it for a competitive advantage, we can - that's a
plus.

2 - it has the potential to alienate members near the edge of the
circle who may be able to participate for the club one week, but not
the next - that's a negative.

Of the two major advantages/disadvantages listed above, to me #2 has
slightly greater weight, but it wasn't enough for me to vote - I
figured let the rest of the club decide which way it wants to go.

As some know, I'm generally not a big fan of ByLaws, so it's somewhat
ironic that I quote them, but here goes:

AMENDMENTS: Article VII

In order to provide for the maximum participation by members of the
South East Contest Club, any Officer or full member of the Club shall
be permitted to request that the geographical co-ordinates
representing the center of the ARRL 175 mile "circle" be temporarily
moved to a different location. Approval of such a move shall be by a
majority of the membership voting by any means of communication to
the Vice President of the Club. Nothing in this Article VII shall be
construed as a constraint against such a move being designated as
permanent. A temporary move shall exist for a period of 6 days, and
must include ARRL, CQ, NCJ or other approved contests dates in their
entirety.

--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA
Cornelia, Georgia