[SECC] Help with Partition Magic and DOS???

Subject: [SECC] Help with Partition Magic and DOS???
From: k4sb at earthlink.net (K4SB)
Date: Thu Jan 15 22:41:00 2004

K4SB wrote:

ku8e@bellsouth.net wrote:

After researching the alternatives I went out and bought a copy of
Partition Magic 8.0. I have my HD partitioned with Windows XP home as
NTFS as the primary and then I have another partition that I am trying
to setup for  MS DOS 6.22. This partition is setup as FAT32 and a
Primary (so you can boot from it) but after more research I am
wondering if it needs to be FAT ???  From what I understand MS DOS
6.22 should be FAT16 but the Partition Magic doesn't give you this
choice when you make a new partition.
----------------
OK, an MSDOS 6.22 partition MUST be FAT16. And it cannot be converted
using any Windows version to FAT32. Simply because the O/S can't read
it. And as you have found out, Partion Magic cannot creat a FAT16
partition. In your case, the only solution is to make a startup disk
using 6.22, and then FDISK, create as many separate partitions as you
wish. I highly suggest you create 2 partitions C and D on the hard
drive as FAT16. REPEAT FAT16

Once that is done, you can install MSDOS on the C partition. And then
Windows on the D drive. And as soon as you do, you'll find that
Windows has renamed the partitions so that Windows is now on the C
drive. And here's the bad news. You've got to have an OEM edition of
Windows. Fortunately, WIN98SE is well less than $100, and XP is about
$100-110 if you shop around a little. Again, you have absolutely no
choice in this matter.

Once 98 is set up, install Partition Magic, and split up the NEW C
drive into 3 partitions. (Windows will rename the MSDOS partition to
F. Now we'll have C,D,E, and F. Don't worry about the drive letters,
Windows will sort through that for you. Now, convert C,D, and E to
FAT32. Then you have to create a NTFS partition on one of them for XP.
And to do that, you MUST have an OEM XP CDROM, or an emergency start
disk created from XP.

OK, we now have MSDOS 6.22 on the F drive, and Win98SE on the C drive.
And we have a  NTFS on D, and E as a plain old FAT 32. We'll use E as
a spare drive
to store downloads, ect.

Remember, 98 cannot see a NTFS drive, but XP can see all partitions.
-----------------------
boot disk from my old computer and got into the setup by booting from
the CD.
It seems some of the files I need are missing because it takes an
error. My  computer originally came with Windows 95 but it only came
with a
Compaq system to restore and Windows 95 Companion CD. I tried the
restore CD be it
seems to only work with a Compaq computer because it also makes an
error.
------------

Now the good news. Trash the 95 CDs. They're useless for everything.
And one of the most important "uselessness" is that they are a
proprietary version of 95 created especially for Compaq. If you were
to compare an OEM 95 CDROM, and yours, you would find a world of
difference.

However, there's more good news. I have the OEM Windows 95 disks ( I
think there are 14 of the suckers ), and Win98SE Upgrade. Since I have
no use for either of these since I have an OEM 98SE also, you may have
them for a song. ( Sung at the next club meeting  wearing a dress )

This will leave you with only the XP OEM to purchase, and fellows, if
you get any ideas of making a copy of XP, forget it. XP "phones home"
when installed, and although I find the situation to be an absolute
invasion of privacy, it reads the BIOS on the machine it's on, the
serial number of the XP CD, and retains it at  Microsoft. If you don't
let it "phone home", you have to call Microsoft, and they will give
you a manual regristry key for it. But again, this key and the "home"
key
are not the same. Of course, you > can skip all of that and not
register it at all, but XPt will cease to  operate 30 days later.

One last note; If you so much as change the CDROM on the machine, and
it's not identical to the original, you have to call Microsoft, or 30
days later.....goodby

I also have an OEM of Windows 2000 and anyone who wants it may have it
for the asking.  However, bear in mind that I'm not mad enough at any
of you to wish
that thing off on you.

73
Ed