[SECC] This week's contests

Subject: [SECC] This week's contests
From: k4bai at worldnet.att.net (John Laney)
Date: Wed Oct 15 13:58:02 2003
Hello all:

I assume many of you will be checking out your stations this weekend in
preparation for next weekend's big CQ WW SSB contest.  There are a lot
of contests that you might play in to check out your stations.
Hopefully conditions will improve a bit as they have been pretty bad
except for the Pacific island expeditions for the last several days.
The high bands through 10 M have been open to the Pacific pretty long
after dark, but the other bands 30 M and above are not opening to other
areas of the world as we might have hoped.  I don't know anything about
middle of the day conditions except what I have read and the reports
aren't encouraging.

1.  JARTS WW RTTY Contest.  00 UTC Oct 18 to 24 UTC Oct 19.  48 hours.
80 through 10 M RTTY.  Exchange RST + age. Submit logs by e-mail only.
http://www.edsoftz.com/JARTS/2003/rules2003.html.

2.  QRPARCI Fall QSO Party.  12 UTC Oct 18 to 24 UTC Oct 19.  CW only.
160, 3560, 7040, 14060, 21060, 28060.  I think there is a maximim of 24
out of the 36 hours operation.  Exchange RST + SPC + QRPARCI member
number or output power for non-memebers.  Turn down your output to 5
watts, have some fun, and make some QRP guys happy.  A module for NA is
available.  http://personal.palouse.net/rfoltz/arci/fall.htm.

3.  Worked all Germany Contest (WAG):  15 UTC Oct 18 to 15 UTC Oct 19.
CW and SSB.  German stations work the world.  Exchange:  RST + DOK
(usually one letter and two numbers, such as Y33, but some special ones
may be all letters or a combination) or RST + serial number.  Lots of
activity can be expected in this one.
http://www.darc/de/referate/dx/xedcgr.htm.

4.  W/VE Islands QSO Party.  16 UTC Oct 18 to 24 UTC Oct 19.  If there
were more activity in this one, it might make a trip to an island
worthwhile.  SSB and non-SSB.  Exchange RS(T) + USI/CISA No. + island
name.  If not on an island, sent RS(T) + SPC.
http://www.eng.mu.edu/usislands/usvetest.html.

5.  Asia-Pacific Sprint CW.  00 to 02 UTC Oct 19.  CW only 20 and 15 M.
  Could be two hours of fun if either band is open to the Asia-Pacific
area.  I'd expect 15 M might be the best bet, but there could be some on
20.  The big contesters from JA and other areas will be out in force.
However, the power limit is 150 watts and there is the usual sprint QSY
rule.  You must move 5 khz to call CQ again or 1 khz to call another
station.  Of course, you can run your full 1.5 KW and give out points if
you are not going to be submitting a log.
http:jsfc.org/apsprint/aprule.txt.

6.  RSGB 21/28 mhz CW Contest.  The SSB sectin was two weeks ago.  07
UTC to 19 UTC Oct 19.  15 and 10 M CW only.  Send RST + serial no.  UK
stations send RST + UK District Code.  (I think that is part of their
postal code.)  http://www.blacksheep.org/hfcc/Rules-2003/2128-2003.html.

7.  Illinois QSO Party.  One day only state QSO Party.  Illinois
stations have been very active in our GQP.  18 UTC to 02 UTC Oct 20.  A
lot of county-line operations occur as the county lines are generally
drawn straight.  Exchange:  RST + SPC or Ill county.  Work Ill stations
only.  http://my.core.com/~jematz/ilqso03.html.  There is a NA module
available as I recall.

Hope everyone has a good week and weekend.  Make a lot of QSOs.  Maybe
you will run across some good DX at the same time.

73,

John, K4BAI.