[SECC] Headphones

Subject: [SECC] Headphones
From: thompson at mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Thu May 29 13:31:22 2003
I have two older BM-10 boom mic sets with one cabled for Yaesu and one for
Icom.  I have newer Pro Micro (with the new interchangable cable) also for
Yaesu.  I have a fourth boom mic set, the Telex Contester which is very much
like the HC-5 element.  I have sent all three Heil sets back for minor
repair.  My original Yaesu set (20 years old now) had a problem with the
thin cable at the headset and one ear kept cutting in and out.  I called and
talked with Bob Heil himself and he said this was common (why they dropped
the BM-10 series for several years).  Both of my other Heils had a problem
with the boom mic holder.  At one time Radio Shack had almost exact
replacement cushions for the BM-5/10 series.  Now I have to call Heil and
they are $5 per set
and the last ones I got were red not blue.

The major problem I have with Yaesu and the BM-10 and Pro Micro is that the
plug is a fraction of an inch too short for the jack so you have a problem
getting sound to the ears.  I fix that with the adapter Radio Shack sells
although I lose the ability of having different sound in each ear as the RS
adapter is mono not a stereo plug.  I have an old military surplus BC-345
box (I have 3) that is a headphone splitter.  I use that with SO2R using 2
of my three Yaesu Transceivers.  The box switches to the other transceiver.
I may try to cascade two to save this step.

All three have the HC-4 element.  Local KJ4T (Fritz) said my signal was too
narrow several years ago while takling with him on 15.  But isn't that the
objective to be loud on one frequency...Guess Fritz likes the wide SSB that
is drawing FCC attention.

73 Dave K4JRB