[SECC] Antenna Analyzer

Subject: [SECC] Antenna Analyzer
From: jpryor@arches.uga.edu (Jay Pryor)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 08:43:17 -0400
Last week I asked for input regarding antenna analyzers because I was
convinced that something was wrong with my MFJ.  I kept getting erratic
readings on a 80M dipole I put up.  AD4J and K4SB suggested that I first
make sure that the erratic readings were not caused by a nearby AM radio
station.  AA4LR also mentioned that possibility.  As it turns out, that was
the problem.  My QTH is approximately 4 miles from the antenna complex at
Holcomb Bridge and Spalding Drive.  AD4J says his QTH is only 2 miles from
that location and he has to use a MFJ filter on his analyzer in order to
get accurate readings.  This weekend I used a 80M band pass filter on the
analyzer and that took care of the problem.  In addition, I discovered that
the readings I had been relying on for 40M were bad also.  So after a
weekend of tweaking my wires are 1:1.

If you are in the area of an AM transmitter, take heed.

Thanks Jim, Ed and Bill!

73,

Jay/K4OGG