[SECC] GQP Weekend

Subject: [SECC] GQP Weekend
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 08:18:37 -0400
On 7/23/02 8:01 PM, Bill Fisher, W4AN at w4an@contesting.com wrote:

>Is not also Dayton Hamvention weekend?  Seems like that would be a tragic
>mistake.

Years ago, I used to have a weekly schedure on Saturday morning with my
brother Ben, NJ8J, who was in WV at the time. We were both using barefoot
transmitters into low wire antennas on SSB. Most mornings we would meet
on EASTCARS on 40m and move off.

Most weeks, it was a difficult circuit with lots of QRM. We'd QRT after
10 minutes or so. Then one Saturday, there was almost no QRM. We talked
for about an hour on a QRM-free frequency. Armchair copy.

A bit later, I realised that this was a weekend in April -- the same
weekend as the Dayton Hamvention. There are VERY FEW people on the air
that weekend. I wonder why?

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901