[SECC] QST contest reporting update

Subject: [SECC] QST contest reporting update
From: K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com (K9AY)
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 21:15:16 -0500
SECC Members,

At their meeting last week, the ARRL Board of Directors amended their budget
resolution to defer the proposed reductions in QST contest score reporting and
section news. The issue will be revisited at the Board's July 2002 meeting.

The joint letter from contest club presidents was the primary impetus for their
response -- it appears that the ARRL Board will listen when the message is
clear, strong and positive.

Now that we have their attention, the next job is for the clubs to come up with
suggestions and, eventually, a recommended plan for Web and QST reporting. The
plan MUST (my emphasis, not ARRL) address the financial issues that caused the
ARRL to consider reduced coverage in the first place.

For your present consideration...

1)  I would like to be on the committee that explores the options and makes a
recommendation to the ARRL.  I think my extensive publishing experience will be
useful for this matter.  Does anyone else in SECC have an objection or wish to
be on that committee themselves?

2)   SECC members will be kept up to date on this discussion, and polled for
your opinions on the various proposals.

3)  Be prepared for a discussion of entry fees, private and commercial
sponsorship, and other financial concepts that would be required to keep line
scores in QST.  Also be thinking about what information you want to see in QST,
and what is better handled on the ARRL Web site.

73, Gary
K9AY
SECC President
k9ay@k9ay.com