[SECC] name change

Subject: [SECC] name change
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:27:24 -0500
On 1/18/02 1:49 PM, John Laney at k4bai@worldnet.att.net wrote:

>And a lot of people have "Bill" in their memories, computer or otherwise
>for AA4LR. Unless you have a reputation for using weird names like K4OJ
>does, you will probably lower your score by causing calls for repeats by
>changing from Bill to George.

Well, I did try this last year, and it worked great. Not only did it
reduce repeats for the name, but it also reduced repeats on the section.

> Of course, you do test the other ops'
>ability some and only he will lose credit if he puts down the wrong
>name, but I tried to use "John" from W4AN once and it was a bad
>decision.  Got lots of calls for repeats and a lot of the backscatter
>stations couldn't figure out if I
>was really W4AN John Ga or W4AU John Va.  Go ahead and do it and see
>what your conclusions are at the end.

I'm not as well-known as you or Bill, John, so it doesn't hurt as much.

I did have a few guys the last time say "Hi Bill" and then fumble to type
"George" after I gave them the exchange.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901