[SECC] Multi mistakes??

Subject: [SECC] Multi mistakes??
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:03:41 -0500
On 1/15/02 8:51 AM, Jay Pryor at jpryor@arches.uga.edu wrote:

>Like John, there were quite a few times when
>I never received a response after asking a station to move;

I believe this is easy to explain. People just can't copy CW. I know I
can't. Sure, I can copy a callsign, name and a state or province - if I'm
lucky. You send me a "QSY" and I'm hearing "QSL", then I hear a bunch of
numbers, and I figure I've screwed up. Send me a bunch of words, and I'm
totally lose. I hear the question mark and I have no idea what you sent.
I ask for a repeat, and the station usually gives up and starts CQing
again. Some guys don't ask for the repeat. They just log the QSO and move
on.

>When you have a second operator on another band, it
>makes it much easier to move people (at least for me) than if you have to
>change bands yourself, risking losing your run frequency when you do.

The other interesting issue is that a single band move is easy for a M/2,
but multiple moves can't happen, unless the M/2 is ready to spend 10
minutes on a third band.

One question, Jay, did John or Bill every move stations over to you?
Seems like you were really in a position to be fed Qs, with two guys
working the other band.

>I think I got a lot of calls from the "non-contesters."  I'm sure most
>people reading this have also been reading ad nauseam about contesting code
>speed.  I had the speed set on 30 wpm and did not change it throughout the
>entire contest.

Interesting. I had mine set to 25 wpm, with the paddles set to 20 wpm. I
did have some guys call me going a lot faster, and sometimes that
required a repeat or two. Sometimes I got lucky.

I never asked anyone to QRS, but I did skip over a couple of stations who
were too fast. Quite a few operators lowered their code speed when I
answered. None of those guys required a repeat.

Slower, with no repeats is faster than fast with a couple of repeats, in
my opinion. Maybe I'll change my mind when I can copy 35+ wpm in my
head....

>This was my first time operating at W4AN, and the first time using NA, and
>although Bill carefully explained his antenna setup, I'm a
>tribander-on-the-roof guy.

And monobanders in the trees....

> I didn't worry about antennas.  (Sorry
>Bill)  Wherever they were pointing, that's where I called CQ.

You should come down to NQ4I's more often, Jay.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901