[SECC] SS Results NE4S, and other news

Subject: [SECC] SS Results NE4S, and other news
From: mcondon@attglobal.net (Michael Condon)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:03:08 -0500
The clandestine wonder wire did a good job on all bands this weekend.
(G5RV)
10 - 70
15 - 38
20 - 70
40 - 70
80 - 70
Total Qs 318, a sweep of multipliers, 80, for a total of 50,880.
Low power.
Time on was about 13 hours.

Last multiplier was VY1 for NWT/YT.  Then two more VY's were worked.
Rarest multiplier was SC, with W4OC doing the great favor of my only contact
in SC.  Thanks!

Time was budgeted to two sessions of evenings each night.   Chores,
shopping, meteor watching, and personal time with the new ham who lives here
were the main considerations of the weekend.  It was fun with the full
"sweep" being the goal of the run.

NEW HAM
The new ham here is Joan, my wife, who passed the Tech exam at
Lawrenceville, and was issued KG4PYQ.  She passed in her first setting with
a high score.  Joan used Gordon West's book, and the practice tests on
qrz.com as her aids.  When she was passing 4 out of 5 tests, with 80% or
more, she was ready.  Joan's study was mostly on her own, with only a few
bits of help from me.  Being a second grade teacher helped her in the basics
of sorting out answers on the tests.   She studied on occasional weekends
since September, in short sessions, and at the finish she took a practice
test or two each nite during the week.
We have applied for a vanity call for her, K9EGA, which is the call I had
held before getting my current high-speed vanity call.
Joan will not be a contester, and most of you know not to ask why, HI.  I
may have mentioned earlier that Joan accidentally picked a General test as
practice once, and scored 50% on it, cold.  Hmmm, but there are no plans for
upgrading.

Praise for the VEC and FCC is due.  She tested on Saturday, the new call was
issued and posted on the net Tuesday, and the license arrived in the mail on
Friday.
My, My we have come a long way.

Yes, I am very proud of Joan's accomplishment.
73
Mike, NE4S