[SECC] Short Term Club Targets?

Subject: [SECC] Short Term Club Targets?
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher W4AN)
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 13:51:07 -0500 (EST)
> However, I think Phone contests are a good way to attract new contesters.
> Why? Because it's much easier to approach a Phone contest as a new ham.
> CW contesting requires that you be a rather proficient CW operator.
> Acquring that skill isn't easy, and takes time and dedication.

I agree.  SSB is where you will get new contesting blood.  It just ain't
my bag.

> So, even if you don't like phone contests, considering inviting some new
> hams over to your station for a non-serious multi-op. Or perhaps just get
> on for a few hours Saturday night Sunday to help bolster some SECC scores.

Yep, great idea.  I've had some guys up at my place to do SS SSB the last
few years.  This year I'm doing CQWW CW as a multi and don't have time to
deal with reconfiguring the station in such a short amount of time.

> The SS club competition combines the entries of BOTH modes, so doing well
> in each mode is important. Last year, with 24 entries, we finished sixth
> in the Medium category, with 2.6 million points. That's just behind the
> North Texas Contest Club and our neighbors in the TCG. TCG managed 2.9
> million points with 34 entries.

This is really great.  We should try to move up just one slot next
year.  If I have time, I'll get on for SS SSB and make a 500 to 1000
QSOs.  If we are going to really push this club thing, then I'll make more
of an effort.  Otherwise, I'll just hang out on the deck and watch the
mountains turn colors.

73

Bill