[SECC] Short Term Club Targets?

Subject: [SECC] Short Term Club Targets?
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 09:57:10 -0500
On 11/8/01 9:40 PM, Bill Fisher W4AN at w4an@contesting.com wrote:

>SS SSB
>------
>Not my mode.  Someone else better speak up.

You know, I'm beginning to think that Phone contesting gets the short
shrift.

OK, I understand that many of you much prefer the purity of CW
contesting. There's much less QRM, CW is an efficient mode, CW operating
standards seem much higher, etc, etc.

However, I think Phone contests are a good way to attract new contesters.
Why? Because it's much easier to approach a Phone contest as a new ham.
CW contesting requires that you be a rather proficient CW operator.
Acquring that skill isn't easy, and takes time and dedication.

Why not get a newbie hooked on the idea of contesting via phone, then
introduce him to CW? Especially with the modern license requirements of
only 5 wpm, these new guys are going to need a lot of practice to do well
in CW.

So, even if you don't like phone contests, considering inviting some new
hams over to your station for a non-serious multi-op. Or perhaps just get
on for a few hours Saturday night Sunday to help bolster some SECC scores.

--

SS SSB has the problem that many of you are preparing for CQWW CW. I
won't be able to operate CQWW CW, since I'll be out of town. I'll be

(Here's a challenge for someone -- the Southeastern Division record for
SS Phone Unlimited is only 88,000 -- that's a record someone could easily
beat....)

Many clubs work hard on both modes of SS and turn in great scores. SS is
a lot of fun, and is an easy contest to operate. The multipliers are well
known, the antenna and propagation knowledge requirements aren't
difficult.

The SS club competition combines the entries of BOTH modes, so doing well
in each mode is important. Last year, with 24 entries, we finished sixth
in the Medium category, with 2.6 million points. That's just behind the
North Texas Contest Club and our neighbors in the TCG. TCG managed 2.9
million points with 34 entries.

If we could just get a few more entries, it is quite possible we could
shift up to fourth place with about 3 million points.

>ARRL 10
>-------
>I think the next logical one is the 10M contest.  We can win this one
>guys!  K4BAI will be at my place doing CW only.  My mother will be in town
>that weekend, so I won't be able to operate.  Maybe a few QSOs here and
>there.
>
>Who said they wanted to champion this one?

Last year, we finished the ARRL 10 in 8th place with 6.1 million points.
But we only had 8 (!) entries. TCG was just ahead of us with 6.4 million,
but with 22 (!) entries.

I think the SECC is a real powerhouse, but we need to get more members on
the air. A few big scores are a solid foundation, but to finish higher,
we've got to collect a bunch of smaller scores.

>ARRL 160
>--------
>I'll be on for ARRL 160 from W8JI.  I'll make sure the club gets the
>points.  Last year we had very few club members active though.  Is someone
>going to Ron's?  Gary?  Ron?   My station is empty for that weekend if
>someone wants to come up and do it.  The beverages are really working well
>right now.

Last year, we finished sixth in the Medium club category, with 372
thousand points and 8 entries. The FRC won the category with 787 thousand
points from 16 entries.

With just a few entries, we could move way up. We might even surprise the
FRC.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901