[SECC] 160m Test

Subject: [SECC] 160m Test
From: dxcc@dbtech.net (Allan and Bridget)
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 08:14:06 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_002B_01C05DCA.2BC9DB40

Hi, all!
We had intended on making this one of our bigger efforts, but Allan was =
out of town until Saturday afternoon and I was once again not feeling my =
best (I was one of the lower speed CW ops in the contest Friday =
night...compazine has that effect on me, along with my not-so-stellar CW =
anyway).  On top of that, our antenna flaked out and Allan had to put =
some PVC sections on the bottom part of the antenna to keep it away from =
the trees.  It was good to hear K4BAI in there (and thanks for the brief =
QSO, it made my night, John!).  Mainly did S & P this weekend.  While =
trying to get YU2EXY to answer my call, OM0WR called me, which was =
probably the highlight of the weekend.  Heard a lot more DX than I could =
answer, mainly because of local stations QRMing them (V73UX, for =
example).  Only made 203 Qs and had 62 mults.  DX included:  OM, VP5, =
V26, FM, and of course KP2, KP4, and KH6.  The list of sections not =
worked would be too numerous to mention, but lacked 21 sections for a =
"clean sweep".  The band didn't seem as active this year, although Jack =
Wheeler's description of "gridlock" was still certainly the case. =20

Ben, you are right in saying that this contest is different from the =
others.  There were only a couple of stations going the usual contest CW =
speed.  I think part of the reason is so that people can hear the dits =
and dahs better through high noise floors, and it is known as the =
"gentleman's band".  I know that if I had operated at such a low speed =
on 20m or 40m, someone would have probably taken a staple gun to our =
coax! =20

At any rate, this is one of my favorite bands, and usually offers a good =
chance to hear all those ops you only hear during VHF openings on 6m and =
above (for some reason those of us who do weak signal VHF are drawn to =
160m).   Hope to hear you guys in the 10m contest from the K4WI =
superstation!
73,
Bridget, KS4YT =20
"They're funny things, Accidents. You
never have them till you're having them"=20
-- Eeyore in The House at Pooh Corner by A. A. Milne.=20

------=_NextPart_000_002B_01C05DCA.2BC9DB40

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#fffff0>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi, all!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We had intended on making this one of =
our bigger=20
efforts, but Allan was out of town until Saturday afternoon and I was =
once again=20
not feeling my best (I was one of the lower speed CW ops in the contest =
Friday=20
night...compazine has that effect on me, along with my not-so-stellar CW =

anyway).&nbsp; On top of that, our antenna flaked out and Allan had to =
put some=20
PVC sections on the bottom part of the antenna to keep it away from the=20
trees.&nbsp; It was good to hear K4BAI in there (and thanks for the =
brief QSO,=20
it made my night, John!).&nbsp; Mainly did S &amp; P this weekend.&nbsp; =
While=20
trying to get YU2EXY to answer my call, OM0WR called me, which was =
probably the=20
highlight of the weekend.&nbsp; Heard a lot more DX than I could answer, =
mainly=20
because of local stations QRMing them (V73UX, for example).&nbsp; Only =
made 203=20
Qs and had 62 mults.&nbsp; DX included:&nbsp; OM, VP5, V26, FM, and of =
course=20
KP2, KP4, and KH6.&nbsp; The list of sections not worked would be too =
numerous=20
to mention, but lacked 21 sections for a "clean sweep".&nbsp; The band =
didn't=20
seem as active this year, although Jack Wheeler's description of =
"gridlock" was=20
still certainly the case.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ben, you are right in saying that this =
contest is=20
different from the others.&nbsp; There were only a couple of stations =
going the=20
usual contest CW speed.&nbsp; I think part of the reason is so that =
people can=20
hear the dits and dahs better through high noise floors, and it is known =
as the=20
"gentleman's band".&nbsp; I know that if I had operated at such a low =
speed on=20
20m or 40m, someone would have probably taken a staple gun to our =
coax!&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>At any rate, this is one of my favorite =
bands, and=20
usually offers a good chance to hear all those ops you only hear during =
VHF=20
openings on 6m and above (for some reason those of us who do weak signal =
VHF are=20
drawn to 160m).&nbsp; &nbsp;Hope to hear you guys in the&nbsp;10m =
contest from=20
the K4WI superstation!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>73,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Bridget, KS4YT </FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"They're funny things, Accidents. =
You<BR>never have=20
them till you're having them" <BR>-- Eeyore in The House at Pooh Corner =
by A. A.=20
Milne. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_002B_01C05DCA.2BC9DB40--