[SECC] Most interesting SS CW QSO...

Subject: [SECC] Most interesting SS CW QSO...
From: k4bai@worldnet.att.net (John T. Laney, III)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 23:02:30 -0500
Hi Greg:  I was typing from memory.  My log shows NFL for W9IOP.  I
didn't realize I was really working W3TMZ.  There was a time when Jack
was one of the top SS and CD Party operators in the country.  I guess
the choice of a club call indicates that he was an admirer (and maybe
friend) of Larry.

Incidentally, he had quite a pile up on 20 CW Sunday AM (QSO at 1319Z).
I called him about ten times on the seond rig before he answered me.  Of
course, he was answering stations on skip to him and I was getting him
on ground wave, backscatter, or some other non-standard prop.  Of
course, he also gave me #125, so it's understandable that a lot of guys
would line up for a big signal who hadn't already worked a lot of Qs.
Maybe not the lure of the call, which a lot of people didn't know or
wouldn't remember.

I now have had a chance to look at the SS log to answer K4OGG's
question.

During the last hour of operation (ending at 0232Z), the lowest number I
got was 8 A N4PSE 62 SFL.  N4PSE is a call that I have worked many
times, particularly nearly every year when I go to Barbados.

Other interesting contacts in the last hour were:

0223Z, 21 B W5KL 30 AR.  Leland used to be W4AGI and W4YE (both calls
now belong to his sons).  He was a Brigadier General in the Marine Corps
and was stationed in Atlanta for years when his primary call was W4YE.
He held both calls then (W4AGI was his original call from 1930).  He is
now president of OOTC.  I recall one year when there was still a power
multiplier that I worked SS with high power and got beat by W4YE with
low power and a power multiplier.  I think it was 1.5 on phone and 1.25
on cw.  In any case, I never again used high power until the power
multiplier was done away with .  Leland is also a former SCM (now SM) of
ARRL.  I don't remember what section it was....maybe VA.  He was
recently president of QCWA also.

0231Z   24 A W2GD 61 NNJ.  John Crovelli, famous ham (operates at
P40W).  Running on 80 CW at the last minute.  Divorced in recent years
and may not have an all band station at home.  Probably often operates
as a guest from other's stations with his own call.

Last QSO, 0232Z 10 B W0EOZ 30 ND.  Called me on 40 CW.  One of the
rarest sections and a 70-year ham I assume without checking the FCC data
base.

73, John, K4BAI.

Oh yes, down to Barbados Nov 21 and return Nov 28.  Will be QRV 160
through 6 M CW and SSB.  Glad to sked anyone for needed bands/modes
especially since this is my last trip there.  8P9HT outside the contest
and 8P9Z during the test.