[SECC] Most interesting SS CW QSO...

Subject: [SECC] Most interesting SS CW QSO...
From: k4bai@worldnet.att.net (John T. Laney, III)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 21:48:13 -0500
As a resiult of the reminder of Leigh's old W2CWD call, I found a QSL
from Leigh for the 1960 ARRL SC Contest 7 mhz 0125Z November 13, 1960.
He was using a Ranger and a Super Pro.  In 1960, I would have been using
a Super Pro SP400X and a HT18 driving a home brew (not by me) pair of
100THs at a full 1 KW input.

My first SS was 1955.  I worked CW for 40 hours and then worked a bit of
AM Phone at the end of the contest.  Actually, that was for years after
1955.  I now remember that I planned to enter Phone and worked it for a
number of hours, maybe even for a weekend, but I got tired of that mode
(AM phone was rough!)  and finished the contest on CW.  For all future
years when the contests were both modes at the same time for two
weekends, I worked the maximum time on CW and then played around on
Phone at bit at the end.

Thanks for the memories, Leigh.  73, John.

P.S.  The exchange was a lot different then.  I think it was QSO #, R
(for precedence Routine) your call, check signal report?, ARRL Section
for place of origin, time, and the current date.  At some later time,
the time was deleted and the date was changed to your birth date.  That
was the way a lot of people learned of contesters' birthdays and sent
them radiograms.  Until recent years, I always got one that originated
that way from Dick Regent, K9GDF in Wisconsin.  At one time, Dick also
used an HT18 Hallicrafters exciter, 6AG7 driving 6L6.  Supposed to have
output on all five amateur bands 80, 40, 20, 15 and 10, but mine never
had any output on 10.

73, John.