Re: [RTTY] NS RTTY Sprint

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] NS RTTY Sprint
From: "Kermit \(aka Ken\) via RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 13:07:42 -0400

In a message dated 2017-05-14 2:10:53 P.M. Coordinated Universal Tim,
tshoppa@gmail.com writes:

Ken K6MR  writes:

> I'm not sure what the breakdown of working/retired folks  is on the
> morning/afternoon CWTs, but except for a few that have noted  they operate
> from work (VE9AA in his car, for example) I'd bet most  are retired. So
that
> limits an already small group. I know two of our  most active stations are
> work constrained during the day.  As I  noted in a previous post, VE2FK
> asked publically about a daytime  CWT-style RTTY session and no one
> responded. If we wanted to have a  standard contest style session, that
> would definitely be the way to  go. Something completely separate from NS,
> sort of like what they did  with the Tuesday night Fone  Fray.

There's a lot of activity in all three Wednesday CWops events and many of
the ops must be retired.  The RTTY community is smaller but seems  to be
growing rapidly.  Plus there's considerable overlap.  At some  point there will
a critical mass large enough to support CWops style weekly  mini-contests.
Maybe there already is.

RTTY sprint style operating is a very small niche interest.   Among my
circle of RTTY friends, not one is interested.

RTTY is primarily a contest mode.  There's very little RTTY  weekday
operating.  DXing for new ones is a miniscule part of it.   There is a
surprising
amount of RTTY Special Event operations for the prefix  chasers.

Since the code requirement was dropped, new hams on HF tend to gravitate
toward SSB and digital modes, mostly PSK and JT65/JT9.  These folks  should
be good recruits for RTTY contesting.  PSK has never become a  major
contesting mode.  Try to imagine a JT65 contest.

73,
Ken, AB1J