Re: [RTTY] RM-11708

To: RTTY contest group <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RM-11708
From: Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 10:56:06 -0600
On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 1:02 AM, Lee - N2LEE via RTTY
<rtty@contesting.com> wrote:
> Right now all data modes on HF are limited by 300 baud symbol rate.

1200 bauds on the 10-m band.

> Also, by removing the 300 baud symbol rate the US would be brought inline
> with every other
> country. For example Canada and Mexico use the same HF frequencies we do but
> are not
> limited by symbol rate. So if this were and issue it would already be a
> problem. Which it isn’t.

If all your friends jumped off the bridge, would you jump too?  Dumb
argument.  If you are going to argue in favor of something, argue on
its merits, not that "everyone else is doing it".

750k licensed hams in the US.  What is Canada?  1/10 of that?  Mexico
is probably, what?  1/100?  So just because "they already do it"
doesn't mean much.

Now, that said, regulation by bandwidth makes much more sense.

Unfortunately, that will make the HF bands useless because of the
unattended automatic stations.  Those are the real problem.  Fix that,
first then do what you want.

I haven't read the latest version - is the ARRL still trying to
"harmonize" all of HF with the odd-ball 60-meter band?  And where are
we in the FCC process anyway?