Re: [RTTY] Startech USB COM port adapter

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Startech USB COM port adapter
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 19:33:55 -0400

Now here's the weird part. I configured MMTTY and the K3S to use the
USB sound interface built into the K3S, and that works fine with
AFSK. I left the serial cable connected. However, when I transmit, I
noticed that the PTT line on the W1AN adapter is activated by MMTTY
and keys the K3S!! The red LED on the adapter is on. If MMTTY can't
open open the designated COM port, how can it toggle RTS?

Are you trying to use the "FSK & PTT" port in MMTTY or are you using
EXTFSK and configuring the port in EXTFSK?

MMTTY generally can't open USB to serial adapters at 45 baud for RTTY
(most will not operate that slowly) it becomes necessary to use EXTFSK
(or EXTFSK2) to allow the processor to generate the FSK baud clock
(known as "software FSK") with many "modern" USB to serial adapters -
including multi-port devices like the StarTech.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV