Re: [RTTY] AL-80B Or KPA500 for RTTY Contesting

To: "Thomas F. Giella W4HM" <thomasfgiella@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] AL-80B Or KPA500 for RTTY Contesting
From: joeduerbusch <k0bx@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 20:02:27 +0000
Remember we all have opinions  Of course we always think what we have is
the best.

Saying that, I think the AL-80B is a great Amp.   Works well and doesn''t
have many problems.  It list for $1599 with discounts at some of the
dealers.
Last December I got a Elecraft KPA500 Amp.  I am using it with my Flex 6300
HF rig.  l could not be more happy with it.
I had been using a TenTec Centurion 422 amp (2 3-500Z tubes) for the last 8
years.  It has more power but I did not enjoy tuning it up each time I
changed bands..
The KPA500  no tune amp with auto band switching made my HF life more
enjoyable.  I am in most of the RTTY/CW contests and had no problem running
550 watts all day long.
Now the KPA500 cost $2099.95 in kit form, $200 more for a factory built
model.
What do you get over the AL80B for the extra money?  Solid state no
tune-up, auto band switch and very fast QSK break-in.

I think you would be happy with either amp.

Joe K0BX

#1 Honor Roll Mixed
Honor Roll Phone
Honor Roll CW
Honor Roll RTTY
Honor Roll 20 Meters
5BDXCC Plus 30,17,12
5BWAS

Stop the insanity!
Please do not add me to any distribution lists (Joke, Stories or Junk)
without my permission.