Re: [RTTY] North American QSO Party, RTTY

To: Rtty Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] North American QSO Party, RTTY
From: K6UFO Mark Aaker <k6ufo@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 23:41:07 +0000 (UTC)
Hi Tom, I'm sorry for my delayed response to this thread but I was traveling
today.

The last time you raised this topic with me, Dec 28, 2011 in my records,
I did send you a "rationale."  You thanked me for the reply and commented that
"The low power facet of this contest is what I find most fun..."

I will reiterate my rationale, that "low power" is a large part of what makes
the NAQP
contests fun, since people feel they are on a more balanced playing field where
they
will not be "stomped" by high power stations. In the past, there were
complaints about
excessive power. This rule  tries to make clear that our power limit is 100
watts, not
assisted by an external amplifier capable of more than 100 W output. I think
that
allowing such amplifiers would lead to more "mistakes" and complaints. The goal
of
the contest is fun and skill development, neither of which is helped by
allowing
external amplifiers capable of more than 100 W output.

We do want to have one consistent set of rules for the three NAQP contest modes
(RTTY, CW and SSB), and so far the three NCJ Contest Managers (RTTY, CW, SSB)
haven't agreed to eliminate the rule "no external amplifiers capable of more
than 100 W
output." But, I will make sure we consider it again later this year, for next
year's rules.

Hi John W8WEJ, The last time this "no external amps" question was discussed
on the RTTY reflector was Feb 26, 2015. (Two days before the contest!) Since
we only revise the rules once a year (before January), I am not surprised that
you
have "...heard nothing since..."

I'm sorry you consider it "a dumb rule." Perhaps you can see that I might
consider
an environment of warmed-up, on-line, and already operating high power
amplifiers
puts the important "low power" aspect of this contest at risk.

Just FYI:  I am a long-time user of the Kenwood TS-590s, and I will note it is
rated for 100W on all modes including RTTY. The In-Depth-Manual even has a
graph
showing the TS-590s "transmitting continuously for more than two hours at a
25°C or 77°F room temperature with an output power of 100 W."  I have operated
them extensively on RTTY and never had a concern with the usual short contest
exchanges.

Hi Jeff WK6I, The rule does not apply to your example of  "10W radios using
external amps to get to 100W."  The rule applies to external amplifiers capable
of more than 100 W output. A KX3 driving a KXPA100 is fine. A K2 or K3/10
driving a KPA100 is fine. If someone has a specific, not hypothetical, question
about their amplifier stage please send it to me.

Sorry if I'm a little grumpy today. Traveling does that to me. I need a little
contest fun to relax... See you Saturday!

Mark Aaker K6UFO
NAQP RTTY Contest Manager
k6ufo at arrl dot net