Re: [RTTY] BARTG HF Contest 2015 Preliminary Results

To: "'SIMONE WILSON'" <m0box@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] BARTG HF Contest 2015 Preliminary Results
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 07:57:27 -0700
Simone, does (or, can) your log checking software produce a listing of how
many times each station's sent exchange was (supposedly) busted by the other
station?  If so, a high percentage in this listing casts suspicion on the
sending station's ability to log what they actually sent (or, to send a
consistent exchange through repeats).  Having this data doesn't solve the
problem, but gives you better insight into what the problem really is and
how extensive it is.

As others have commented, using time as an exchange element has two sides.
On the one hand, it is an easy way to create unique exchanges that require
careful handling by both sides of the QSO.  It really doesn't matter what
the time exchange element really is, relative to actual time, but only that
the receiving station copy what was sent.  On the other hand, time "may" be
more problematic than serial number or other unique exchange element, in
that it can have a wider range of inconsistency on the sender's end.  And,
on the receiving end, one could incorrectly guess the time exchange element
by looking at one's own clock.  But, one can argue that any unique exchange
element is subject to the same potential issue of the sending station not
consistently sending only one unique exchange element per QSO and logging it
correctly.

The same issue occurs with serial number contests and some log checkers
allow the serial number to be off by one.  Even that is not perfect because
the receiving station may have missed hearing his serial number but copied
the next QSO's serial number and assumed that his from the prior QSO is N-1.
That assumption can often be wrong when the running station is SO2R with
runs going on two radios.  He really didn't copy what was sent but the log
checking gives him a free ride.

Thus, this problem occurs with any unique exchange element.  For constant
exchange elements, it is easy enough to construct reverse logs and decide
that the exchange actually sent is what most recipients logged.  Reverse
logs also highlight the problem of receiving stations relying on prefilled
exchanges rather than copying and logging carefully.

Free rides aren't necessarily bad unless they are so prevalent as to
invalidate the basic concept of making a valid QSO most of the time.  Each
contest organizer needs to decide whether the challenge of using unique
exchanges is more important than being able to adjudicate the logs closely.

Ed W0YK