Re: [RTTY] BARTG HF Contest 2015 Preliminary Results

To: Simone Wilson <m0box@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] BARTG HF Contest 2015 Preliminary Results
From: Phil Sussman <psussman@pactor.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 08:40:57 -0400
I read this post with a degree of nostalgia and note the migration of RTTY contests into the realm absolute auditing.

In RTTY today:

You can't participate in a contest unless you own a computer.
You can"t participate in a contest unless you own logging software
You can't participate in a contest unless you send a formatted log.
You can't participate in a contest unless you submit your log to a web site.
You can't participate in a contest unless others send logs with your call in it.
You can't participate in a contest unless your log is computer scanned.
You can't participate in a contest unless your log is computer accepted.

So, what does this mean? Is each and every contact subject to verification.
What if someone (even rare) works in a contest, but does not send a log.
And don't think of submitting a paper log, even if you don't own a computer.

The hew and cry is accuracy and the avoidance of fraud. Yet, certainly today it
is possible to 'beat' this system. All you need is three or four different
log submissions that track each other. You don't even need several people,
just a big computer with the capacity to flood the system with false calls,
false logs and full of false contacts, even with other active participants.
That would undercut even valid log entries.

Contesting used to be fun and based upon trust. That trust no longer exists
in favor of a robot that processes your original log into a consistent form
right for adjudication. Are robots trustworthy? After all, garbage in = garbage
out.

I still run RTTY, but don't count on me for contest points. You'll only be
disappointed.

73 de Phil - N8PS

Quoting Simone Wilson <m0box@btinternet.com>:

CQ Contest,

Preliminary Contest Log analysis of the 2015 BARTG HF Contest has been
completed. Adjudication has now entered the enquiry phase and to aid I have
published preliminary results. You will find them at this address

http://tinyurl.com/opezrbn

The results shown here are DRAFT. They are the result of the initial
automatic adjudication process. They are NOT the final results. Positions
can and will change once proper analysis of the issues is made.

These are posted for your information and so you may download your
individual UBN. If you see any problem that you wish me to investigate then
please email me.

You will have received an email from the robot when you submitted your log
highlighting the errors it found in the log you submitted. I have had to
delete several logs that do not conform to the required exchange data
(usually missing fields) which renders them useless for cross checking
purposes.

If you need to modify and resubmit your log in light of the UBN data, please
email me to advise you need to modify your log and I will then respond. I
will send your log back to you that is the one the robot has given to me.
The robot processes your original log into a consistent form right for
adjudication.

To request a copy of your log for modification or for any matters arising
from the UBM data for your entry, please email me at logs@bartg.org.uk
<mailto:logs@bartg.org.uk>  only. Emails to this email address will NOT be
answered.

No new log submissions will be accepted.

Concerning the BARRTG 2014 HF Contest Results, adjudication is now complete
and awaits only the allocation of award certificates prior to publication,
these being downloadable fron the results page itself. I expect to make an
announcement in the next two weeks.

73 de Simone. M0BOX

BARTG Contest Manager