[RTTY] BARTG 75 Sprint calls

To: "RTTY Contesting" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] BARTG 75 Sprint calls
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:37:35 -0800
For some reason in this one I noticed a significant increase in the number of stations that called and tried to work me at 45 baud instead of 75. I got so tired of manually typing "SEND 75 BAUD NOT 45" or something close to that I wished I had made a macro someplace to save my finger tips. I couldn't figure out how someone who was setup for 45 baud could call me at that speed when all they could receive was gibberish. Now I suspect two possible scenarios could factor into this, but I'm not sure of #1.

1. Someone has setup MMTTY on the Decode tab to receive 75 baud, but missed clearing the little check box on the Demodulator tab that "Fixes 45.45 baud". So my question is if someone did this would he be able to decode my transmissions at 75 baud, but then when he sent his macros they came out at 45 baud?

2. A much more likely scenario is that a few saw my call spotted on the DX cluster and ran there to pick up a AK RTTY contact despite the fact that they couldn't decode what I was sending!

Do either of these assumptions seem likely? Not sure what to do about it in the future. One thing I will not do is shift my speed back down to 45 to tell the uninformed at the other end to increase his speed to 75. That is sure to result in my pile up disappearing when the other guy needs instructions on how to change his baud rate!

73,
Gary AL9A