Re: [RTTY] Spaces at end of exchange (please)

To: Hank Garretson <w6sx@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Spaces at end of exchange (please)
From: Mike <k4gmh@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 12:00:23 -0400
Let me jump in the space at end of function message and CR/LFs:
Three of my 10 most used function keyed messages do not have CR/LF at the
beginning or end.  They all have a space at the end of the function
message.  The three are without a CR/LFa are (Writelog terminology):

   - %B%BK4GMH K4GMH %E
   - %D %E
   - %D?? %D?? %E

My thinking on no CR/LF allows the three messages to be appended to other
functions, e.g., K4GMH K4GMH K4GMH K4GMH, rather than have the call twice,
new line, etc.  Note: only the last of the end of transmission, "%E", will
be recognized in a string if a space is before any of the previous "%E" in
the string.

The "%D %E" (%D = other stations call) allows the other station call to be
appended at the end of the F2 exchange message to reduce confusion on whom
the exchange is for, such as, when conditions are crowded.  Sometimes I
start sending the exchange before the other station has stopped
transmitting and realize the other station may not realized the exchange
was for him.  The "%D %E" clarifies the station the exchange was meant
for.

The "%D?? %D?? %E" is used when the other station's call may not have been
copied correct or there is some confusion (my part) of the other station's
call.   It can be appended to the F2 exchange or the S&P exchange, as well
.  It also is used as a stand alone function key message when the other
station's exchange needs additional confirmation, e.g., the other station
QSL'd my exchange but his was not fully received.

Please put a space at the end of each function message for all the previous
reasons.  A CR/LF, though, as you feel the need for it.

Some thoughts.

  73,

  Mike, K4GMH