Re: [RTTY] Comments on RM-11708 now most active

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Comments on RM-11708 now most active
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 22:27:08 -0600
Thanks for the clarification Joe and hopefully those who have not commented
will be able to do so on Monday.

If you don't comment, don't go crying if this thing becomes law and all these
Pactor 4 modems start firing off all over the HF
bands. If you think the Pactor 4 operators are going to limit their automatic
operations to the subbands specified in Part 97.221,
guess again. Winlink 2000 stations have already been misinformed by the Winlink
2000 website that Part 97.221 does not apply to
them.

Once these Pactor 4 stations start popping up EVERYWHERE in the traditional
RTTY, JT65, JT9 (and other narrow-band modes) sections
of the bands, guess where RTTY, PSK31, JT65 and JT9 stations will be forced to
go - lower in the band. This is going to affect the
CW operators and the future does not look pretty my friends. So for the ARRL to
say it does not affect CW operations, they are being
quite naïve. Or actually, quite stupid.

Wait until you have that nice run finally going in a contest then all of a
sudden someone sends an email with a couple of pictures
attached and you get wiped out. Or you are trying to work that rare DX station
on RTTY, PSK31 or JT65/JT9 or whatever when the
station you want to work, and all other stations within 3 kHz, gets covered up
by a Pactor 4 station that has no idea the frequency
is in use because it's automatic and does not have the capability of knowing
there is other traffic on the frequency. Or playing on
any narrow digital mode - PSK31, JT-mode, etc, and have one signal Pactor 4
station wipe out the entire section of the band.
Theoretically, one Pactor 4 signal could wipe out over a hundred JT9 QSO's.
What's wrong with this picture?

And guess what.... you will not be able to find out who the station is that
wiped you out because the Pactor 4 protocol code is not
open. OK, you could come up with a couple thousand bucks and get a Pactor 4
modem (they are all over eBay) and then get a license
from SCS, but what good does that do you?

The 30 meter band is already overrun with automatic stations in IARU Region I.
You may as well kiss it goodbye in Region II if this
thing passes. There will be so much Pactor 4 going on that 30 meters may not be
workable at all.

This whole deal is not about replacing a symbol rate limitation with a
bandwidth limitation. It's all about Pactor 4 and making it
legal in the United States so people can start using it to link to the Internet
and pass large amounts of data over HF and other
people can start making some money off it. And they certainly don't give a damn
if the frequency is already in use.

Merry 'bah humbug' Christmas!
Don AA5AU