Re: [RTTY] ARRL attack on current RTTY users

To: COURYHOUSE@aol.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL attack on current RTTY users
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 12:43:53 -0800
On Nov 29, 2013, at 12:07 PM, COURYHOUSE@aol.com wrote:

> who owns the  rights  to PACTOR?

I believe it is Special Communications Systems GmbH & Co. KG ("SCS" in short).
KG is the equivalent to our "limited partnership."

In the good old days, a lot of manufacturers pirated Pactor I to implement into
their TNC, without paying a license.  WS7I told me that HAL was one of the very
few who paid for a Pactor I license.

So, there is actually good reason for them to be paranoid about releasing
details for the hard work they had put into the subsequent versions.  It is
really a conundrum -- release it in the amateur spirit to little guys like you
and I who don't have any monetary interests, but continue to risk being pirated
yet again by the TNC manufacturers.

In a sense, you can place the blame on the TNC manufacturers for theft of the
original Pactor protocol.

73
Chen, W7AY