Re: [RTTY] ARRL attack on current RTTY users

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL attack on current RTTY users
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 19:44:31 -0500

> Like Jim, I would appreciate even a bullet list of topics/issues
> which are deemed important to include in those comments.

Pick your poison and add supporting comments to the points you choose
to use ... The most important point to add is that ARRL's position
does not represent the overwhelming majority of CW, RTTY and data users
who prefer RTTY and data bandwidths continue to conform to "traditional
radioteleprinter bandwidths" as they have for the past 30-plus years.
Instead, ARRL's petition it represents the narrow commercial interest
of Special Communications Systems GmbH in an attempt to legalize their
Pactor III and Pactor 4 products and the quasi-commercial use in the
amateur bands.

1) The ARRL misrepresents the rules on page 2 of their petition by
   stating that the maximum shift applies to FSK only.  The maximum
   shift also applies to the maximum spread of multi-tone modulation
   even though such modulations were not in use in the Amateur Service
   in 1980 when the current rules were adopted.

2) The ARRL misrepresents technical accomplishments in the last 30
   years by saying the 300 baud limit "precludes or substantially
   inhibits any meaningful contributions to the sate of the art in
   this area."  Amateurs have innovated PSK31, JT65, JT9, WSPR, QRSS
   and *many other* narrow bandwidth digital modes since the current
   rules were adopted.

3) The ARRL misrepresents the current conditions at #4 on page 3 by
   claiming the symbol rate restrictions "no longer reflect the state
   of the art of digital telecommunications technology".  Protocols
   like JT65A, JT9 and WSPR certainly represent the very frontiers
   of weak signal digital technology.

4) ARRL is lying when they claim on page 3, it is in the interests of
   all Amateurs to remove these restrictions.  The vast majority of
   all amateur "RTTY, data" communication is conducted using protocols
   that occupy 300 Hz or less.  Allowing 2.8 KHz for a few unattended
   and "auto-responding" stations will only intensify interference
   from their quasi-commercial operation to RTTY, data and CW users
   of the spectrum.  The grossly increased bandwidth used by that
   fringe group will invariably displace other activity and increase
   spectrum demands elsewhere in the spectrum allocated to CW, RTTY
   and data users.

5) ARRL is incorrect when it claims, on page 8, current technology
   has rendered the current rules ineffective.  The maximum shift
   regulations *still* places a maximum upper limit on bandwidth -
   whether ARRL and SCS who they appear to represent instead of the
   rank and file amateur admit that the shift limit applies to multi-
   tone modulations or not.

6) ARRL is dead wrong in its claim at #10 on page 8 that efficiency
   will improve with increased symbol rates.  Military studies of
   HF Modem technology shows that required signal to noise ratio
   climbs rapidly with increased symbol rates - to the point that
   the highest data rates are only effective on frequencies with
   little or no interference and with the use of high power.  Neither
   of these prerequisites are likely to be met in the amateur service
   where frequencies are shared and the rules require the use of
   *minimum* power levels.

7) ARRL is wrong again in #10 in the blanket assertion that the
   symbol rate limitation precludes the use of newer more efficient
   protocols - PSK31, PSK63, JT65, JT9, WSPR, etc. have all been
   introduced and found wide acceptance since the current rules were
   instituted.  Further, protocols like STANAG and M110 *may*, in
   fact, be legal as digital voice modes in the HF spectrum allocated
   for "voice, image" transmission rather than "data" modes.  There
   are certainly other *digital* voice protocols being used in that
   spectrum every day.

8) ARRL is incorrect at #11 on page 9 when it states that no maximum
   bandwidth limit currently exists.  The combination of a maximum
   shift and maximum symbol rate create a de facto 1500 Hz limit even
   if it is not specified explicitly in the rules.

9) In their appendix - at page 15 - in their proposed revision of
   97.307(f)(3) - ARRL add "A RTTY, data or multiplexed emission
   using an unspecified digital code under the limitations listed in
   this part may also be transmitted."  This change is completely
   unsupported by the petition and would eliminate the need to
   document "unspecified digital codes" effectively providing *data*
   *encryption* and gutting any possibility of enforcement by either
   the Commission or self-enforcement by the amateur community.

10) ARRL fails to address the issue that the vast majority of all
    "RTTY, data" activity uses protocols with bandwidths less than
    500 Hz or that the vast majority of users in the MF/HF spectrum
    currently available for "RTTY, data" expect that signal bandwidth
    will be less than 500 Hz - "traditional radioteleprinter
    bandwidths".  That expectation by those who actively use the
    spectrum has not changed in 30 years since the current rules
    were adopted.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV